Friday, February 29, 2008

Talkin' Talkies (2/29/08)

I think Leap Day is as good as any to bring back Talkin' Talkies. In case you've forgotten, these are my reviews on new movie releases based only on trailers, commercials, movie posters, word of mouth, etc. I haven't seen any of these movies (and from the looks of this week's releases I never will) but that isn't going to stop me from telling you if you should or not. Please set your cell phones to vibrate. Here we go:

SEMI-PRO

What It Is: Yet another awful Will Ferrell sports "comedy" movie. Will Ferrell plays Jackie Moon (aka the same character he plays in every movie) who is a player/owner for the Flint Tropics (I get it!) of the ABA in the 70s. Wackiness undoubtedly ensues.

What I Like: I like Will Arnett and Andy Richter. Unfortunately, these two are in this movie and this movie sucks.

What I Don't: Everything about this movie (including all of the promos and commercials). Oh look - Will Ferrell fights a bear! Awesome! What's this? There's partial Will Ferrell nudity? That guy's body is so funny looking! I love it!

What I Think: I think someone needs to sit Will Ferrell down and have a serious talk with him so he will stop making these awful movies. I've had this argument with many people before, but Ferrell died to me about halfway through Anchorman (and was briefly resurrected for 2 hours when I saw Winter Passing). The reasons for this are many.

1. Will Ferrell is not good as a lead actor. The whole movie is taken over by the retarded character that he insists on playing all the time. He's much, much better when he isn't the main focus and plays the scene-stealer role like in Old School and Zoolander.

2. The awful main characters he plays are perfect sketch comedy characters. They're funny for about 4 minutes and then you get so sick of them you want to rip your eyes out with your toes. This is why he was one of the best ever SNL stars. Something stupid works so much better when it doesn't last very long.

3. His movies are so amazingly unbelievable. The characters he plays don't exist anywhere. Yes, I realize they're fictional and that these are comedies, but in a post-Apatow comedy world, is it so wrong to ask for some believability and depth from comedic characters? Methinks not.

Will I See It: I've already seen more of it than I wanted to, but if you really like Will Ferrell then I can't stop you from watching if I haven't done so already.



Penelope

What It Is: Christina Ricci plays (I assume) a girl named Penelope who has a pig nose or something and is probably ashamed about it for obvious reasons.

What I Like: I've definitely heard of the other people in this movie: James McAvoy (he's so dreamy!), Catherine O'Hara, Reese Witherspoon (who is just a grown version of some demonic child actor to me anyway), and Peter Dinklage (they're filming midgets!). So I guess if they got all of these people it has to be pretty good right?

What I Don't: I really have no feelings about this movie either way.



What I Think: It's a tweenish fairytale romcom. Not really something I'm that interested in, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

Will I See It?: Nope. Not when I can watch this:



The Other Boleyn Girl

What It Is: Yet another telling of the Henry VIII/Anne Boleyn story, except this time with 2 American actresses struggling through English accents. That's kind of a twist.

What I Like: I like The Tudors on Showtime. I think I'll watch that instead.

What I Don't Like: It's great I guess that Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson are starring together as sisters in the same movie. But unless either of them are in a cool movie like V for Vendetta or The Prestige, there's no reason for me to go out and watch them act like British robots for two hours.

What I Think: Like I said, I've already invested my time in The Tudors (mainly because I like to watch alcoholics act) and I'd rather watch this this story as from the power/religious point of view then from some sister vs. sister love story angle.

Will I See It?: No, but come March 30th, I'll be watching Showtime. Although, if Scarlett creepily smells Natalie's shoulder throughout the whole movie, then maybe I'll go see it after all.



Other Movies Released This Week (Yuppers or Nope)

Chicago 10: Nope with a 8% chance of Yuppers

City of Men: Probably Nope

Fin.

No comments: